You can easily change the hue, saturation, and brightness of an image in Photoshop Elements with the Hue/Saturation command. This feature for improving overall colors is also useful when you only want to change a specific color. You can, for instance, make all the blues in the image appear darker without affecting the rest of the image. The command also lets you create monotone or duotone images from black-and-white or color images.
- Select File-Open from the menu bar. The open dialog box appears.
- Open any colorful image you have.
- Select Enhance-Adjust Color-Hue/Saturation from the menu bar. The Hue/Saturation dialog box appears.
- Select Reds from the Edit menu. Now you can only edit the red areas in the image.
- Move the Hue slider to a value of -110. This changes the color of the image from red to a purplish blue.
- Select Magenta from the Edit menu. This limits you to editing the purplish areas in the image. If you select Master from the Edit menu, your changes will affect the entire image. You can still change the color of the image in Master mode; but to do this, you will need to use the Lasso or Magic Wand Tool to select the image before changing the color values in the Hue/Saturation dialog box.
- Move the Hue Slider to a value of -100. This removes the purplish tones.
- Move the Saturation slider to +60, Click OK. This image is now a brighter blue.
A CLOSER LOOK AT THE HUE/SATURATION DIALOG BOX
- Edit: You can choose to edit only one color in the image by selecting it from this menu. To edit all the colors in the image, choose Master.
- Color Bars: The top color bar shows the color distribution of the original image. The bottom color bar shows the color distribution after making the Hue adjustments.
- Eyedropper: the eyedropper is only available if you selected the Master option from the Edit menu. The eyedropper is useful for making adjustments to different colors on the image using the same values.
- Colorize: You can turn an image into a monotone or duotone by selecting this option.
Filed Under: Computers & Technology
About the Author: Justin Belden is a freelance web & graphic designer with over 15 years' experience. He is also an Avid member of the Design/Development community and a Serial Blogger who loves to help people by sharing interesting and informative tips and trick related to computer and technology.